Preparatory training for general upper secondary education (LUVA)
- Public service
You can apply for preparatory training for general upper secondary education (lukioon valmistava koulutus, LUVA), if your language skills are not yet sufficient to study at general upper secondary school. The training takes one school year. It will strengthen your skills in Finnish and prepare you for upper secondary school studies. After the preparatory training, you will apply for the actual general upper secondary education.
To whom and on what terms
The prerequisites for access to the training are:
• The applicant has completed basic education or equivalent in Finland or abroad.
• The applicant is an immigrant or their first language is something other than Finnish, Swedish or Sami.
• The applicant does not have sufficient linguistic skills to complete general upper secondary studies in Finnish or Swedish.
• The applicant aims at completing the general upper secondary education syllabus after the preparatory training.
• The applicant has not obtained a university degree.
You can apply for preparatory training for general upper secondary education, if
- you have completed comprehensive school (peruskoulu) or a similar syllabus in Finland or abroad or have an equal amount of knowledge and skills
- your language skills are not yet sufficient to study in Finnish or Swedish at general upper secondary school
- your have general upper secondary school as your primary educational goal
- you have not received an upper secondary school qualification (toisen asteen tutkinto) or taken the Matriculation Examination (ylioppilastutkinto) in Finland and do not have a similar qualification from another country.
The service is free of charge.
Tuition is free. Students pay for their text books.
The purpose of the preparatory training for general upper secondary education provided for immigrants and foreign-language speakers is to help students gain the linguistic and other capabilities that they need in general upper secondary education. The training can be provided for both young people and adults. Preparatory training for general upper secondary education helps the participants to improve their language proficiency and gain the study skills needed in general upper secondary education.
The preparatory training for general upper secondary education consists of 50 credits. During the training, students can also study subjects normally studied at general upper secondary level.
The training is organised by municipalities, joint municipal authorities and other educational providers that have been granted authorisation to provide general upper secondary education by the Ministry of Education and Culture.