Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service ELY Centre

Permit to place water supply lines

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

You always need a permit from the road maintenance authority for placing water supply lines (clean water, sewer, storm water) and their maintenance work in a highway road area. Depending on the situation, the required permit is an installation permit or a works permit.

Lupa-apuri (permit assistant) will help you select the correct application type.

If the application concerns directing storm and overflow waters into a road-side ditch or the ELY Centre’s storm water system, the application must be accompanied by a storm water contract drawn up with the transport division of the local ELY Centre, or at least a statement from them.

When the application concerns digging a water supply line in the direction of a pedestrian and bicycle way, or in or under the structures of a road, the applicant must determine whether it should conclude an implementation agreement on the work that will be appended to the installation permit before submitting the application to the local ELY Centre’s transport division. You can ask about the conclusion of a storm water contract or implementation contract from the registry of the local ELY Centre.

If it is necessary to place a water supply pump station in a protection or visibility zone of a road, you will also need an exceptional permit for building in the protection or visibility zone. If the pump station requires an access from the road, you will also need a junction permit.

Before applying for the permit, you must carry out the necessary preliminary assessments and determine the existing lines, structures and equipment in the road area. The preliminary assessment is necessary, for example, if it is difficult to find space for the line, other structure or work machine on the route, or if it is necessary to assess the minimum distances to road structures on a case-by-case basis. Only prepare a final installation plan after the preliminary assessment and attach the assessment memo to the application.

Do the following

Use the e-service primarily.

Signing into the service requires strong authentication. You will need either a bank ID, a mobile certificate or a certificate card

In the e-service, you can apply for an installation permit for placing water supply lines in highway traffic areas and a work permit for working in the traffic area.

If you supplement your application later, email the supplementary information to: Enter the service ID number, file number (PIRELY/xx/20xx) or the name of the applicant, the work site’s municipality and road number in the subject field of the email.

If you cannot use the e-service, you can use printable forms. Irrespective of the location, submit the application form to the registry of the Pirkanmaa ELY Centre (P.O. Box 297, 33101 Tampere). 

To whom and on what terms

A fee is charged for the service.

Check the websites of the different licence types for current prices.

The price of the permit is determined by the type of permit, the longitudinal road length of the installation and the number of under crossings. Rejected registrations are also subject to a fee.


Work may not be started before a positive decision. More detailed conditions are specified in the permit decision.

Processing time

Check the average processing time on the ELY Centre website. An incomplete application, missing appendices or preliminary analyses will slow down the processing of the application.

Period of validity

The period of validity of the permit decision is permit-specific and announced in the decision.

Basic information

The service is provided byCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Responsible for the serviceCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: ELY Centre
Updated: 17/1/2022