Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service ELY Centre

Permit for work carried out in road areas

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

A permit granted by the ELY Centre is required for work that is carried out on a highway or in road areas or that requires traffic control and warning signs. A permit is also needed for placing constructions, structures and equipment in the road area. Non-recurring work, such as mechanical alterations for special transport or work related to the maintenance of cables and municipal engineering equipment, also require a work permit. A permit may be granted if the measure does not present a danger to traffic or impede road maintenance.

The permit is included in permits the ELY Centre grants for signage and connecting private roads to highways and in decisions on siting permits for the placement of cables, wires and pipes in road areas. In these cases, there is no need to apply for a permit separately.

You can use the Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency’s application for open road network data to research background information related to work carried out on roads, already at the design stage. The information is presented based on maps. In addition to basic road information (speed limit, traffic volume, width of the carriageway, bridges, groundwater protection), the application also shows the ELY Centre, regional project and transport centre in the area where the site is located.

Do the following

The applicant must complete a permit application. We recommend using e-services as it will speed up the application process. You log into the system with the service, so you need either your online banking codes, a Mobile ID or a certificate card.

The system automatically saves the information you have entered, so you can stop at any time and continue at a later time that suits you. You can also see all your applications from the system.

For the time being, you can also apply for a work permit with the current electronic application form. You can find the electronic form in the shortcuts on the right side of the page.

The applicant will receive an automatic confirmation email of the online form’s arrival to the address they have given. If you do not receive a confirmation message with an identification number, inform the Traffic Customer Service. The identification number is an eight-digit figure (form 100XXXXX).

Please note the following when using e-services: If you supplement the application later, email the supplementary information to Do not submit an electronic form for the additional information, so that the additional information is not recorded in the system as a new application. Write the applicant’s name and the municipality in which the work site is situated and the road number as the subject of the email. If you know the application’s identification or register number (PIRELY...), add it to the subject field as well.

You can send the separate application form and its appendices via email to or by post to Pirkanmaan ELY-keskus, PL 297, 33101 Tampere.

Attach the following appendices to the application:

  • a traffic control plan devised for the site or a general principle diagram applicable to the site
  • an approach chart (1:10,000–40,000)
  • a lay-out plan (approx. 1:500–1,000)
  • any plans that concern highways

To whom and on what terms

The ELY Centre checks the traffic control plan for the site and decides on setting a temporary speed limit. The ELY Centre’s contact person also conducts a review of the terrain before work is started and after work has been completed.

The work must follow these instructions of the Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency:

  • Liikenne tietyömaalla, Yleiset käytännöt ja turvallisuusvaatimukset (“Traffic on a roadwork site, General practices and safety requirements”)
  • Liikenne tietyömaalla, Lyhytaikaiset ja luvanvaraiset työt (“Traffic on a roadwork site, Short-term work and work subject to permission”)
  • Liikenne tietyömaalla, Sulku- ja varoituslaitteet (“Closure and warning equipment”)
  • Liikenne tietyömaalla, Tienrakennustyömaat (“Road construction sites”)

A fee is charged for the service.

There is a fee for both a granted permit and a negative decision. The fees are determined annually by a government decree.


A permit for work must be obtained before work is started.

Processing time

The work permit process takes approximately one to three weeks.

Period of validity

The period of validity is permit-specific and is announced in the decision. The period of validity may be extended once, free of charge, during the period of validity, for justified reasons. The length of the extension depends on the work in question. The request for an extension of a permit period must be submitted in writing during the period of validity of the permit, and no other changes can be made to the permit. Other change requests will be processed as a new application for a permit.

Basic information

The service is provided byCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Other responsible organisationsELY Centre for Pirkanmaa, ELY Centre for South Savo, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for Southeast Finland, ELY Centre for South Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Häme, ELY Centre for Lapland, ELY Centre for Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for North Karelia, ELY Centre for Kainuu, ELY Centre for Uusimaa, ELY Centre for North Savo, ELY Centre for Satakunta, ELY Centre for Central Finland, ELY Centre for North Ostrobothnia
Responsible for the serviceCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: ELY Centre
Updated: 3/24/2021