Permit for work carried out in road areas
- Permit or other obligation
- Nationwide except the Åland Islands
- Public service
A permit granted by the ELY Centre is required for work that is carried out on a highway or in road areas or that requires traffic control and warning signs. A permit is also needed for placing constructions, structures and equipment in the road area. Non-recurring work, such as mechanical alterations for special transport or work related to the maintenance of cables and municipal engineering equi ...
Do the following
Use the e-service primarily.
Signing into the service requires strong authentication. You will need either a bank ID, a mobile certificate or a certificate card.
If you cannot use the e-service, you can use printable forms. Irrespective of the location, submit the application form to the registry of the Pirkanmaa ELY Centre (P.O. Box 297, 33101 Tampere). When using this application method, a separate processing fee is charged in addition to the actual permit fee.
Add the following to the application regardless of the search method:
- a traffic control plan devised for the site or a general principle diagram applicable to the site
- an approach chart (1:10,000–40,000)
- a lay-out plan (approx. 1:500–1,000)
- any plans that concern highways Fill in the application form carefully.
Fill in the application form carefully. If you supplement your application later, email the supplementary information to: email@example.com. Enter the applicant’s name, the municipality in which the work site is situated and the road number in the subject field of the email. If you know the application’s identification or register number (PIRELY...), add it to the subject field as well.
To whom and on what terms
The work must follow these instructions of the Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency:
- Liikenne tietyömaalla, Yleiset käytännöt ja turvallisuusvaatimukset (“Traffic on a roadwork site, General practices and safety requirements”)
- Liikenne tietyömaalla, Lyhytaikaiset ja luvanvaraiset työt (“Traffic on a roadwork site, Short-term work and work subject to permission”)
- Liikenne tietyömaalla, Sulku- ja varoituslaitteet (“Closure and warning equipment”)
- Liikenne tietyömaalla, Tienrakennustyömaat (“Road construction sites”)
Work may not be started before a positive decision. More detailed conditions are specified in the permit decision.
Check the average processing time on the ELY Centre website (Permit for work carried out in road areas). An incomplete application or missing appendices will slow down the processing of the application.
Period of validity
The period of validity is permit-specific and announced in the decision. You can apply for an extension to the validity of the decision. Extending the permit is subject to a fee. The request for an extension must be submitted in writing during the permit’s validity without other changes to the permit. Email the request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write the file number of the decision (PIRELY/xx/20xx) in the subject field. Other change requests will be processed as a new application.