Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service City of Helsinki

Notification of noise

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Helsinki
  • Public service

A business operator must notify the City environment sector's Environment services unit in good time before commencing temporary activity or event that will cause extremely disturbing noise or vibration(e.g. crushing or mining work, outdoor concerts or similar temporary events).

Do the following

The noise and vibration notification must be submitted no later than 30 days before the activities are started. The municipality will consider the notification and issue the necessary orders, which the party submitting the notification must observe.

One noise and vibration notification can cover several events.

To whom and on what terms

A notification is not required for activities for which an environmental permit has been applied.

Private persons are not required to submit environmental notifications for activities connected with their own daily life.

If the entrepreneur has established itself in another country in the European Economic Area and temporarily offers services in Finland, the same permits are required as from entrepreneurs established in Finland.

A fee is charged for the service.

Background information

Every actor whose operations cause especially disruptive noise or vibration must submit an advance notification to the municipal environmental authority. Especially disruptive noise and vibrations may be caused by construction, outdoor concerts, auto sport competitions, mining, rock crushing and pile-driving. A noise and vibration notification is required e.g.for large public events and construction projects.

The party causing the disruption must also provide advance notification of the noise or vibration to everyone in the affected area including residents, day care centres, schools and care facilities etc.

If the operations, which result in noise or vibration, cause disruptions in more than one municipality, a noise and vibration notification must be submitted to the ELY Centre.

Basic information

The service is provided byCity of Helsinki
Responsible for the serviceCity of Helsinki
Area Helsinki
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish, English
Text edited by: City of Helsinki
Updated: 8/11/2020