Licensing to act as the manager of a holder of a security sector business licence.
- Professional qualification
- Public service
A holder of a security sector business licence must employ one or more managers with a valid licence issued by the National Police Board, authorising them to act as the manager of the holder of a security sector business licence in question.
The National Police Board stipulates the number of managers on the basis of the scope of operations subject to a licence, the number and location of places of business, and other such circumstances. The National Police Board also stipulates the managers’ areas of responsibility.
Do the following
Upon submitting a licence application or immediately afterwards, the applicant for or a holder of a security sector business licence must submit an application for a manager licence to the National Police Board. Activities subject to a licence may not commence before the National Police Board has approved a manager for the licence holder.
When a manager quits or otherwise stops attending to their duties, an application for the approval of a new manager must be submitted within seven days of the end of the manager's duties.
One or more deputy managers can be licensed for a holder of a security sector business licence; the deputies will handle the manager’s duties when the manager is indisposed. The application and licensing procedure is the same as that for a manager.
If all the other requirements for the licence are met, a person who has not received manager training can be licensed as a deputy manager for a period of no more than one year (temporary manager), if the manager is permanently or temporarily unable to handle their duties due to an unforeseen reason.
Applications for a manager or temporary manager licence are submitted in writing. You can also submit an application via the police e-service.
The application must include the following:
- applicant's name and address, and personal identification number or date of birth
- applicant's business and organisation ID
- the name, address and personal identification number or date of birth of the person proposed as the manager or temporary manager
- proposed number of managers or temporary managers, and their areas of responsibility and division of duties
- proposed period of validity for a temporary manager licence.
The following shall be appended to your application:
- report on the satisfactory completion of manager training
- report on the fulfilment of the special requirements for a holder of a security sector business licence or applicant engaged in security work, if the applicant has not completed manager training
- certificate of the person proposed as the manager or temporary manager being employed by the holder of the security sector business licence
- consent of the person proposed as the manager or temporary manager
- statement on the existence of unforeseen reasons required for a temporary manager licence.
The National Police Board may ask the applicant to present additional documentation related to the licence.
To whom and on what terms
A manager licence may be granted to a person who:
- is at least 18 years old
- has satisfactorily obtained a Specialist Qualification for Security Officers that meets the requirements laid down in the Decree of the Ministry of the Interior and is in accordance with the Vocational Adult Education Act, or an equivalent specialist qualification (manager training)
- is known to be an honest and reliable person, and has personal qualities appropriate for a manager.
If a holder of a security sector business licence or a licence applicant engages only in security services involving security work requiring certification, and the holder or applicant employs fewer than five persons, a person meeting the above-mentioned general requirements related to their personal characteristics (18 years of age, honest, reliable and with appropriate personal qualities), who has engaged in security work for no less than three years prior to applying for a manager licence, can also be licensed as a manager.
For a special reason, the National Police Board may place time-specific, regional or duty specific terms and limitations on the manager licence and temporary manager licence due to training, personal qualities and other such circumstances.
A fee is charged for the service.
The fee is based on a decree of the Ministry of the Interior on the payment for police services. The decree is periodically updated.
Period of validity
The manager licence remains in effect until further notice. However, it remains in effect for only as long as the manager continues in their duties.