Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health

Licensing of a psychologist (trained in EU/EEA)

  • Professional qualification
  • Nationwide
  • Public service

In Finland, the profession of psychologist is a licensed profession. Practise of the profession is restricted to licensed professionals. On application, Valvira grants licensing to practise the profession for health care professionals trained in Finland and in other countries and, once granted, enters the right to practise the profession in the central register of health care professionals (Terhikki).

Do the following

An application is made to Valvira to practise the profession of a licensed health care professional. The application process varies according to the applicant's nationality and country of training.

Applicants trained in EU/EEA member states (not in Finland):

The applicant completes an application form accompanied by an attested copy of his or her passport or other document indicating his or her nationality.

Other attachments:

  • an attested copy of your degree certificate or diploma and required annexes (e.g. list of subjects studied, grades, etc.)
  • original certificate, or an attested copy of it, indicating a valid right to practise the profession in the EU country of origin
  • original certificate, or an attested copy of it, stating that the training complies with the requirements of the EU Directive
  • Translations of the above documents made by a translator authorised in Finland. The documents must be translated into Finnish or Swedish. The translations may be provided as originals or as attested copies.

You cannot apply for a European Professional Card.

To whom and on what terms

  • Completed degree in psychology (obtained in Finland or elsewhere)

The following preconditions only apply to persons who are not nationals of an EU/EEA country

  • Adequate language skills; a certificate to show that the applicant has passed the State Administration Language Examination or the National Language Proficiency Test. The required level for the State Administration Language Examination is the satisfactory level, and for the National Language Proficiency Test, the intermediate level (levels 3 and 4).

An applicant without a Finnish personal identity number at the time of application must inform Valvira as soon as one is granted.

Applicants should check the websites of Valvira and the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health at and and familiarise themselves with the guides prepared by the Ministry on the preparation and storage of patient records and on safe medication.

If an entrepreneur is established in another country within the European Economic Area and provides services in Finland on a temporary basis, the entrepreneur must clarify with the competent authority whether he or she is subject to licensing, notification or registering.

A fee is charged for the service.

Licensing decision, EUR 400 + postage. Any other expenses: * Provisional licensing decision, EUR 400, if unlimited licensing cannot be granted straight away. * A statement requested from a university or educational institution in order to assess the level of training provided abroad, EUR 350 (the statement is never requested without the applicant's approval)


After graduation, a person may work for thirty days under student rights, provided that the studies commenced less than ten years ago.

Processing time

3 - 4 months from the receipt of the application. Incomplete applications cause delays in the handling process.

Period of validity

The licence is valid until further notice.

Background information

Basic information

The service is provided byNational Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health
Responsible for the serviceNational Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health
Area Whole Finland
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish, English
Text edited by: National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health
Updated: 1/13/2020