Licensing of a pharmaceutical dispenser (trained outside EU/EEA)
- Professional qualification
- Public service
In Finland, the profession of pharmaceutical dispenser is a licensed profession. Practise of the profession is restricted to licensed professionals. On application, Valvira grants licensing to practise the profession for health care professionals trained in Finland and in other countries and, once granted, enters the right to practise the profession in the nationwide register of health care professionals (Terhikki).
Do the following
An application is made to Valvira to practise the profession of a licensed health care professional. The application process varies according to the applicant's nationality and country of training.
Applicants trained outside the EU/EEA member states:
The applicant completes an application form accompanied by an attested copy of his or her passport or other document indicating his or her nationality.
- an attested copy of the original degree certificate and the supplement indicating the content and extent of the training completed (e.g. a diploma supplement, transcript of records).
- if the applicant's current name is different from the name used in the annexed documents, the applicant must also provide a copy of a document indicating the change of name
- a certificate issued by the competent authority of the country indicating the right to practise the profession, if the applicant has been granted the right to practise the profession in a country other than Finland. The certificate may not be older than three months. If the right to practise the profession has been granted in several countries, a certificate from each country is required. The certificate may be given as an original or an attested copy.
- Translations of the above documents made by a translator authorised in Finland. The documents must be translated into Finnish or Swedish. The translations may be provided as originals or as attested copies.
You cannot apply for a European Professional Card.
To whom and on what terms
- Completed degree in pharmacy (obtained in Finland or elsewhere)
The following preconditions only apply to persons who are not nationals of an EU/EEA country
- Adequate language skills; a certificate to show that the applicant has passed the State Administration Language Examination or the National Language Proficiency Test. The required level for the State Administration Language Examination is the satisfactory level, and for the National Language Proficiency Test, the intermediate level (levels 3 and 4).
An applicant without a Finnish personal identity number at the time of application must inform Valvira as soon as one is granted.
Applicants should check the websites of Valvira and the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health at www.valvira.fi and www.stm.fi and familiarise themselves with the guides prepared by the Ministry on the preparation and storage of patient records and on safe medication.
If an entrepreneur is established in another country within the European Economic Area and provides services in Finland on a temporary basis, the entrepreneur must clarify with the competent authority whether he or she is subject to licensing, notification or registering.
A fee is charged for the service.
Apply for the licensing well in advance before starting to practise the profession in Finland. You have no right to work in Finland before the licencing issued by Valvira.
The average processing time of applications by persons trained outside the EU is over 4 months. If Valvira receives all the application documents in full, the processing time is 4 months. For applicants trained outside the EU whose qualification has been verified by another EU/EEA state and who have enough work experience to fulfil the requirements set in the Professional Qualifications Directive, the average application time is 4 months.
Period of validity
The licensing is valid for an indefinite term.
Act on Health Care Professionals
Decree on Health Care Professionals
Asetus Sosiaali- ja terveysalan lupa- ja valvontaviraston maksullisista suoritteista
Asetus Sosiaali- ja terveysalan lupa- ja valvontaviraston maksullisten suoritteiden muuttamisesta