Licensing of a dental specialist (trained outside EU/EEA)
- Professional qualification
- Public service
In Finland, the profession dental specialist is a licensed profession. Practise of the profession is restricted to licensed professionals. On application, Valvira grants licensing to practise the profession for health care professionals trained in Finland and other countries and, once granted, enters the right to practise the profession in the central register of health care professionals (Terhikki).
Do the following
An application is made to Valvira to practise the profession of a licensed health care professional. The application process varies according to the applicant's nationality and country of training.
Applicants trained outside the EU/EEA member states:
The applicant completes an application form accompanied by an attested copy of his or her passport or other document indicating his or her nationality.
1. if the applicant's current name is different from the name used in the annexed documents, the applicant must also provide a copy of a document indicating the change of name
2. an attested copy of the original degree certificate of a dental specialist and the supplement indicating the content and extent of the training completed (e.g. a diploma supplement, transcript of records)
3. a certificate issued by the competent authority of the country indicating the right to practise the profession, if the applicant has been granted the right to practise the profession in a country other than Finland. The certificate may not be older than three months. If the right to practise the profession has been granted in several countries, a certificate from each country is required. The certificate may be given as an original or an attested copy.
4. Translations of the above documents made by a translator authorised in Finland. The documents must be translated into Finnish or Swedish. The translations may be provided as originals or as attested copies.
5. a copy of the National Certificate of Language Proficiency or the State Administration Language Examination (does not apply to nationals of EU/EEA countries)
6. a copy of the certificate issued by the university indicating that the applicant has passed all of the above examinations
You cannot apply for a European Professional Card.
To whom and on what terms
- Completed specialist degree in dentistry (obtained in Finland or elsewhere)
- Licensing of a dentist in Finland
The following preconditions only apply to persons who are not nationals of an EU/EEA country
- Adequate language skills; a certificate to show that the applicant has passed the State Administration Language Examination or the National Language Proficiency Test. The required level for the State Administration Language Examination is the satisfactory level, and for the National Language Proficiency Test, the intermediate level (levels 3 and 4).
An applicant without a Finnish personal identity number at the time of application must inform Valvira as soon as one is granted.
Applicants should check the websites of Valvira and the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health at www.valvira.fi and www.stm.fi and familiarise themselves with the guides prepared by the Ministry on the preparation and storage of patient records and on safe medication.
If an entrepreneur is established in another country within the European Economic Area and provides services in Finland on a temporary basis, the entrepreneur must clarify with the competent authority whether he or she is subject to licensing, notification or registering.
A fee is charged for the service.
After graduation, a person may work for thirty days under student rights, provided that the studies commenced less than ten years ago.
3 - 4 months from the receipt of the application. Incomplete applications cause delays in the handling process.
Period of validity
The licence is valid until further notice.
Act on Health Care Professionals
Decree on Health Care Professionals