Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Regional State Administrative Agency

Licence to provide private health care services

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

An individual person, company, co-operative, association or other organisation or foundation must obtain a licence to provide private health care or medical care services. The licence is granted by the Regional State Administrative Agency or, if the activities take place in the area of more than one Regional State Administrative Agency, by the National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health, Valvira.

If you are an independent private trader, your activities are subject to notification. See also the instructions for “Registering as an independent practitioner”.

Private health care and medical care services include:

  • services of physicians and dentists, and other health and medical care and similar services
  • physiotherapeutic activities and other methods and therapies that improve and uphold the performance capability
  • occupational health care services
  • massage
  • laboratory work
  • radiological procedures and other similar imaging and research techniques
  • other examinations and procedures carried out to determine the patient’s health or diagnoses, or to find the right course of treatment
  • patient transport services.

Do the following

Before initiating any activities, submit the license application with attachments to the Regional State Administrative Agency in whose area you are starting the activity. If you are planning to provide services within the area of more than one Regional State Administrative Agency, submit your license application to Valvira.

To apply for the license, submit the following forms and accounts to the Regional State Administrative Agency:

  1. Application for providing private health care services
  2. Attachment: Health and medical care services and personnel (filled out separately for each facility)
  3. A trade register extract and the company statutes (the trade register extract may not be older than 3 months)
  4. An account of the work experience of the manager in charge of the health care services
  5. An inspection report of the facilities, signed by the chief physician of a health centre or a physician authorised by the chief physician, and a plan view of the facilities, or if you are starting activities in the facilities of another company providing a similar service, a copy of the contract between your companies
  6. A copy of the safety licence issued by the Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority, if you are using X-ray equipment in the facility
  7. A copy of the self-monitoring plan, if services are provided in more than one facility
  8. As necessary, other attachments in accordance with the provided services, e.g. a pharmacotherapy plan or a hygiene plan
  9. A notice of initiation from the private health care service provider.

You can speed up the processing of your application by submitting all the necessary documents at once.

In case of changes in the activities, such as if a new operational unit is established, the manager in charge is replaced or other significant changes are made to the activities, you, as the service provider, must apply for modification of the license from the permit authority. Notify the authority that issued the permit if the patient ombudsmen is replaced or the mailing address changes.

To whom and on what terms

The conditions for granting the licence include the following:

  • The provided service shall constitute health care or medical care.
  • The service shall be medically appropriate and take patient safety into consideration.
  • The service shall take place in an appropriate facility and with appropriate equipment. The facilities and equipment can either be owned by the service provider, or they can be shared by several service providers. The services can also be rendered in the customer’s own home or as remote services.
  • The services shall be provided by appropriately qualified personnel.
  • Your company shall have a manager who is in charge of the health care services and has been approved by the Regional State Administrative Agency. The manager shall have suitable qualifications for the provided services and sufficient work experience in the field of health care.

A fee is charged for the service.

Fees are determined by the Government Decree on the Regional State Administrative Agencies’ Fees in 2019 and 2020.


Apply for the licence well before starting the activities or making significant changes. The provision of private health care services may be initiated only when the permit authority has issued the permit.

Processing time

Approximately 2 months.

Period of validity

Until further notice

Basic information

The service is provided byRegional State Administrative Agency
Responsible for the serviceRegional State Administrative Agency
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: Regional State Administrative Agency
Updated: 8/9/2020