Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service ELY Centre

Junction permit for a road

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

As a rule, a permit issued by a road maintenance authority is required for the construction of a private road junction or a site access to a public road.

A junction permit is needed

  • to build a new junction
  • to relocate an existing junction
  • to alter an existing junction, for example by road improvement or widening
  • to alter the use of an existing junction
  • to construct a temporary ...

Do the following

Use the e-service primarily.

Signing into the service requires strong authentication. You will need either a bank ID, a mobile certificate or a certificate card.

If you cannot use the e-service, you can use printable forms. Irrespective of the location, submit the application form to the registry of the Pirkanmaa ELY Centre (P.O. Box 297, 33101 Tampere). When using this application method, a separate processing fee is charged in addition to the actual permit fee.

Fill in the application form carefully. Permit decisions are issued on a case-by-case basis, which means that a separate application is required for each junction.

Checklist for applying for a junction permit:

If it is a new construction project and the property is limited to the road, you must first send a request for a statement about hearing the neighbour to the local ELY Centre. (The road keeper is an adjoining owner in the same way as other neighbours of the plot). Attach the statement you received to the permit application.

Before applying for a permit, you must also obtain the following attachments:

  • a certificate of the permission to build (an urban area development plan, a planning decision or other evidence)
  • the map location of the junction (1:20,000)
  • an extract of the local adopted urban area development plan, master plan or component master plan
  • a statement on other possible arrangements for road access to the property, e.g. shared access
  • a layout plan or other plan relating to the property showing the exact location of the junction.

Mark the planned location of the junction on the terrain with sticks.

If you supplement your application later, email the supplementary information to: Enter the application’s service ID number, file number (PIRELY/xx/20xx) or the name, municipality and road number of the permit applicant in the subject field of the email.

To whom and on what terms

A junction permit can be granted if

  1. the junction is necessary to use the property and no other passage can be arranged
  2. the location of the junction meets the requirements for traffic safety.

You can find more information on the ELY Centre’s website (junctions).

The owner of the junction has the obligation to keep it in order in all respects.


Work may not be started before a positive decision. More detailed conditions are specified in the permit decision.

Processing time

Check the average processing time on the ELY Centre website (junctions). An incomplete application or missing appendices will slow down the processing of the application.

Period of validity

The permit decision is valid for two years. The junction must be built within this period of time. The junction permit itself is usually valid until further notice.

The service is provided by

Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment

Other responsible organisations

ELY Centre for North Karelia, ELY Centre for Southeast Finland, ELY Centre for North Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Pirkanmaa, ELY Centre for South Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Kainuu, ELY Centre for Lapland, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for North Savo, ELY Centre for Central Finland, ELY Centre for Uusimaa, ELY Centre for Satakunta, ELY Centre for South Savo, ELY Centre for Häme

Responsible for the service

Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Text edited by: ELY Centre
Updated: 26/1/2023