Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service ELY Centre

Grant for the promotion of environmental education and awareness

  • Service
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

Discretionary government grants are available for the promotion of environmental education and awareness. The grants can be used to support projects of national or regional scope which promote education and awareness in sustainable development, protection of cultural environments or other forms of environmental education.

Do the following

How to apply

The application period is open once a year in the autumn. Check the application period and annual special instructions on the ELY Centre’s website.

The application should have accurate and sufficient information about the purpose of the grant and other details that are relevant to the decision. Provide a brief description of the project in the application. Use an attached document to provide a detailed description of the project and its objectives, the project schedule and total cost estimate with an itemised breakdown (see instructions). In addition, the project plan should describe the intended project outputs and how they will be used and disseminated. The project plan must also indicate how the achievement of objectives will be assessed during the project.

If possible, submit your application online (Grant application for an environment education project).

If you are unable to use the online form, you can use a printed application form instead. Send the application as an attachment to the general online form to the registry of the ELY Centre. You can also send the form by post.

Payment application

If your grant application is approved, you can request payment after the work has been duly completed.

Use the payment application form with separate instructions.

Send your payment application form as an attachment to the general online form of the ELY Centre directly to the registry of the ELY Centre that approved your grant application. There are separate online forms for companies/organisations/operators and municipalities. Choose the appropriate ELY Centre under Asia > Virasto in the online form.

Alternatively, you can send your application by post to a payment unit location of the KEHA-Centre. See the KEHA-Centre website for contact information.

To whom and on what terms

The project must be an experiment or development project of regional or national importance. The duration of the project must be specified for a fixed term. Permanent or continuous activities do not qualify for this grant. Research projects are not eligible for the grant.

The outputs of the project must be demonstrable and assessable. The project can produce new operating models or educational materials, or it can focus on promoting the wider adoption of good practices and materials.

The grant is available for legal entities, i.e. registered associations and other organisations, businesses, municipalities, etc. Most grant recipients are non-profit associations. The grant is not available for government agencies, institutions or private individuals.

The service is free of charge.

Basic information

The service is provided byELY Centre for Central Finland
Other responsible organisationsELY Centre for North Karelia, ELY Centre for North Savo, ELY Centre for Satakunta, ELY Centre for Central Finland, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for Häme, ELY Centre for Pirkanmaa, ELY Centre for Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for North Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Southeast Finland, ELY Centre for Uusimaa, ELY Centre for Lapland, ELY Centre for Kainuu, ELY Centre for South Savo, ELY Centre for South Ostrobothnia
Responsible for the serviceCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: ELY Centre
Updated: 15/10/2021