Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service ELY Centre

Fish import permits

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

A permit from the ELY Centre is required for the import of a fish or crayfish species or their stocks or gametes other than those naturally present in Finland for the purpose of release into natural waters or for aquaculture.

Do the following

Send your free-form application as an attachment to the general online form to the registry of the ELY Centre. You can also send the application by mail. ELY Centres’ contact information is available under Service locations.

To whom and on what terms

For issuing an import permit, the ELY requests statements from different authorities (Finnish Environment Institute, Natural Resources Institute Finland, Finnish Food Safety Authority). Enclosing with the application statements of the above mentioned authorities will speed up the processing of the application.

A fee is charged for the service.

A permit is subject to a fee and fees can be found on the website: A government decree on the fee-based services of the ELY Centre, TE Offices and KEHA Centre.


The permit should be applied for in sufficient time before it is needed.

Processing time

The permit application is processed within 6 to 12 weeks after it has been received. A decisions usually involves a request for a statement or a public notice, which takes time.

Period of validity

The permission is issued for a fixed period determined on a project-by-project basis.

Basic information

The service is provided byELY Centre for Lapland, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for North Savo
Other responsible organisationsELY Centre for South Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Pirkanmaa, ELY Centre for Satakunta, ELY Centre for Central Finland, ELY Centre for Southeast Finland, ELY Centre for Uusimaa, ELY Centre for North Karelia, ELY Centre for Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for South Savo, ELY Centre for Lapland, ELY Centre for North Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Häme, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for North Savo, ELY Centre for Kainuu
Responsible for the serviceCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: ELY Centre
Updated: 10/3/2021