Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service ELY Centre

Fish and crayfish stocking permit

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

The stocking of a new fish species / fish stock or crayfish is subject to a permit. In order to obtain it, the customer must submit an application for a fish and crayfish stocking permit to the fishery authority of the ELY Centre whose operating area the concerned waters are located in. In addition to any permit from the the ELY Centre, a permit from the owner of the water area is always required.

Consideration of a stocking permit is necessary in the realisation of the management plan’s objectives, the vitality of fish and crayfish stocks, ensuring biodiversity and preventing the spread of fish or crayfish diseases.

Do the following

Complete the printable form (Fish and crayfish stocking permit) and send it as an attachment to the general online form to the registry of the ELY Centre. You can also send the form by post. The return address is provided in the application form.

To whom and on what terms

A fee is charged for the service.

Permit fees can be found on the website: A government decree on the fee-based services of the ELY Centre, TE Offices and KEHA Centre.


The fish stocker must notify the stocking register of the stocking within three months.

Processing time

The permit application is normally processed within two (2) months from receiving the application or, if the application is incomplete, from the date the applicant has provided the documents and reports required to decide the matter.

Period of validity

The permit is valid for a maximum of five years.

Basic information

The service is provided byELY Centre for Lapland, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for North Savo
Other responsible organisationsELY Centre for Kainuu, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for Lapland, ELY Centre for North Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Uusimaa, ELY Centre for Häme, ELY Centre for North Savo, ELY Centre for North Karelia, ELY Centre for South Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Satakunta, ELY Centre for Pirkanmaa, ELY Centre for Southeast Finland, ELY Centre for South Savo, ELY Centre for Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Central Finland
Responsible for the serviceCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: ELY Centre
Updated: 10/3/2021