Exceptional situations in activities that require an environment permit or registration
- Permit or other obligation
- Nationwide except the Åland Islands
- Public service
If an accident, unforeseen disruption of production or another similar, unexpected circumstance independent of the operation or if the dismantling of a structure or device in activities that require a permit or registration results in emissions or waste, leading to
- a situation in which the requirements of the Government decree concerning the environmental permit or operation cannot be complied with, or
- a situation that may cause an immediate and obvious risk of pollution of the environment, or
- a situation that involves exceptional measures in waste management due to the amount or characteristics of waste,
the person responsible for the operation or the holder of waste must immediately notify the situation to the Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY Centre) that acts as the state supervisory authority. The notification must be made to the ELY Centre if the environmental permit is granted by the state environmental protection authority (AVI).
Do the following
After the notification, you must without delay send to the ELY Centre a plan to limit the emissions and waste from the operation and the resulting degradation of the environment in the exceptional situation. Based on the notification, the ELY Centre will make a decision that may include necessary instructions to restore the normal operation in accordance with the law and the provisions and orders issued under it, to eliminate negative effects and risks and prevent the degradation of the environment and at the same time to set a time limit within which this must be done.
There is no separate notification form for exceptional situations. Send the plan as an attachment to the general form or by post to the ELY Centre. ELY Centres’ contact information is available under Service locations.
To whom and on what terms
The service is free of charge.