Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service ELY Centre

Drainage notifications

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

During drainage, water causing damage or harm is directed away from the desired land area by draining, weeding of streams or leader drains or by piping. If the drainage is not minor in nature, an ELY Centre must be notified.

The following drainage types can be considered minor, when drainage is not carried out on acid sulphate soils or underground water basins:

  • drainage of a small wood area
  • digging a ditch necessary for the draining of a building site on one's own land
  • drainage of a minor plot
  • subsurface drainage of a plot
  • subsoil drainage of a plot.

The aim of drainage notifications is to help the supervisory authority to assess whether a water permit or ditching proceedings are necessary for the project. The notification procedure ensures that the notifier receives necessary information about the required permits and guidance on performing the necessary tasks with as little harm as possible.

Do the following

More detailed information about designing of drainage, things to be considered and notifications can be found in the "Maankuivatus ja ojitus" section of the environmental administration's website. If uncertain, you can ask an ELY Centre if you need to make a drainage notification.

If you are required to give a notification, fill the form called "Ilmoitus ojituksesta". Attach the application and the required documents (listed in the form) to the online form and send them to the ELY Centre registry. You can also print the application and send it to the ELY Centre registry by post (contact information can be found in the "Service locations" section).

To whom and on what terms

The notification must include, for example, information about the channels to be weeded or dug and their location as well as the effects of the drainage on the environment.

The service is free of charge.


You must submit the notification 60 days before starting the planned tasks.

Period of validity

The authority will provide detailed instructions about work that requires a permit and about the validity of the notification.

Basic information

The service is provided byCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Other responsible organisationsELY Centre for Häme, ELY Centre for South Savo, ELY Centre for South Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for Kainuu, ELY Centre for Southeast Finland, ELY Centre for North Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Uusimaa, ELY Centre for Pirkanmaa, ELY Centre for Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for North Savo, ELY Centre for Central Finland, ELY Centre for North Karelia, ELY Centre for Satakunta, ELY Centre for Lapland
Responsible for the serviceCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: ELY Centre
Updated: 23/3/2021