Development support for the Schools on the Move programme in comprehensive schools
- Nationwide except the Åland Islands
- Public service
The objective of Schools on the Move programme is to have active and comfortable school days. The goal is that each student exercises for at least an hour a day. Schools can implement the programme in their own way. Central elements of the programme are to get students involved, promote learning, increase the amount of exercise and sit less.
Schools in the programme have new viewpoints and they change their operational culture into a more active one. Spreading good procedures and taking advantage of them are key in this project. To improve the efficiency, various actions should be taken and included as a part of the school’s operational culture.
The central themes of the Schools on the Move projects are:
- full-scale implementation of functional teaching methods
- increasing student participation
- increasing the expertise of teachers
- using and developing the built and natural environment
- promoting exercise during school breaks and travel
- improving the conditions for walking or cycling to school
- providing sports in the morning and afternoon at school
- wide cooperation between different interest groups.
Support can be granted for both new projects as well as continuing projects. Development projects can last for a year or longer, but support is granted one school year at a time. In general, the same project can be supported for a maximum of three school years. The project plan specifies the annual costs and their funding clearly. The applicant organisation's top management's commitment to the project is expressed in the project application.
The purpose is to support such operations models that can become a part of the regular operations of the organisation receiving the support without external financial support. The supported project is required to include several measures to make the school's operational culture more active. The application must include a written plan for how the operations are regularised and embedded.
Long-term commitment to the planned measures and their funding is important in order to regularise the project.
Do the following
Apply through the regional administration e-services.
The application must include the following documents:
- Operating plan that includes the operational environment, objective, content, planned measures and their costs and basis of calculation (estimation of costs), monitoring and assessment with their schedules as well as the composition of the steering group.
- Excerpt from the budget that displays the self-financing.
- Plans to improve the school’s environment of learning and exercise.
- Written commitment of other possible partners as well as their contact details and distribution of work.
- The community's profit and loss account, asset and liability statement and auditor’s statement from the previous financial year as well as extract from the trade, association or other register (private educational providers).
- A plan to regularise the project (signed by the management).
- An account on any support applied or received for the same purpose.
- For projects applying for continuing support, an account of costs and a free-form mid-term report on the realised operations.
- An account on the authority to sign.
- Other accounts the applicant wishes to refer to.
You can find further details on how to apply from the website of the Ministry of Education and Culture. The sender is responsible for the application’s delivery. The application is rejected if the Regional State Administrative Agency receives it after the application period.
The application period ends usually in early March. You can find the application period from the detailed instructions on how to apply posted on the website of the Ministry of Education and Culture. The Regional State Administrative Agencies will make support decisions annually by the end of May.
To whom and on what terms
Municipalities, joint municipal authorities and private educational providers can apply for the support for operations of comprehensive school. Individual schools will not be supported directly.
In order to receive support, the project must have significant self-financing that covers at least 50 per cent of the project costs. The self-financing cannot be imputed costs. Another prerequisite is that the applicant’s budget must include an appropriation provision for the costs caused by the operations. The self-financing is verified in a project-specific cost centre report.
The service is free of charge.