Compensation for damages to catches caused by seals and cormorants
- Nationwide except the Åland Islands
- Public service
ELY Centres grant, on application, compensation for damages to catches caused by seals and cormorants with regard to fish catches by year.
The amount of aid is based on a calculation system:
- Calculation is based on the value of the fisherman’s annual coastal catch.
- Calculated value is determined on the basis of regional fish producer prices recorded by the Natural Resources Institute Finland.
- Compensation rate is 15% of the value of the catch.
- Compensation may not exceed EUR 7 000.
The aid granted is paid in one instalment without submitting a separate payment application (as a one-off compensation).
Do the following
Applications are submitted primarily on the online service for rural support (HYRRÄ).
Otherwise, complete the printable form (EMFF application form) and the evaluation form (Sustainable fishing - Compensation for damages to catches caused by seals and cormorants) and send them and other required documents and clarifications as an attachment to the general form to the registry office of the ELY Centre for Southwest Finland.
The application may also be sent by post. The ELY Centres’ contact information is available under Service Locations.
To whom and on what terms
Compensation is available to:
- natural person with legal capacity who is habitually resident in the area of application defined by the action plan
- legal person who is habitually resident in the area of application of the action plan.
- Aid may be granted to a commercial fisherman if the average value of their own catch or the average revenue from the sales of their processed products for the previous 3 years period of sales requirement exceeds EUR 10 000. The aid recipient who does not meet this sales requirement must provide a feasible development plan as to how they will meet the requirement within three years after the aid has been paid.
- The aid recipient must be a registered commercial fisherman and a licence-holder who owns or rents a high seas fishing vessel. The reported catch is always accounted for by the licence-holder of a registered fishing vessel.
The aid is based on the calculated value of the coastal catch made by the applicant. The aid is 15% of the calculated value, but not more than EUR 7 000. No aid is granted if the final amount is less than EUR 1 000. The calculated value of the catch is determined on the basis of regional fish producer prices recorded by the Natural Resources Institute Finland and of the catches reported to the authorities by the aid recipient within a prescribed period. Trawl and seine catches are not taken into account in the calculated value of the catch.
The aid recipient may benefit from compensation only once per fishing year, nor may they receive compensation, for example, separately as a private entrepreneur or a shareholder / partner of a corporation (limited liability company, general partnership, limited partnership)
The service is free of charge.