Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service ELY Centre

Compensation for damage caused by protected species

  • Service
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

You can apply for compensation from the ELY Centre if species protected by the Nature Conservation Act cause damage on agriculture, forestry, fisheries or buildings.

As a rule, you must apply for compensation from the ELY Centre by the end of the year during which the damage occurred or, in certain cases, by the end of May on the following year.

The compensation is based on the Ministry of the Environment’s decision on Subsidies Payable to Compensate for Damages Caused by Protected Rare Species (1626/1991).

Do the following

Obtain the necessary attachments for the application.

Submit the application and its attachments to the ELY Centre in whose area the damage has occurred.

If possible, use the online application form. You can also use the printable form and submit it to the registry of the ELY Centre.

Apply for compensation by the end of the year in which the damage occurred. If damage that occurred during the latter part of a year can only be verified the following spring, submit an application by the end of May.

To whom and on what terms

The precondition for receiving compensation is that the victim has attempted to prevent the occurrence or expansion of the damage by reasonable means at their disposal. Examples of the means are presented on the environmental administration’s website ( and in the instructions for compensation application.

The compensation application must indicate:

  • which animal species caused the damage
  • when and where did the damage occur
  • the type and amount of the damage
  • is the applicant entitled to, and to what extent, other compensation from insurance or based on other legislation.

An independent expert approved by the ELY Centre must always verify the damage. Damage can be proven, for example, by:

  • the Rural Livelihood Authority’s statement on the assessment of crop damage
  • building inspector’s statement on damage to buildings
  • the Finnish Museum of Natural History’s or another body’s statement on the number of birds causing damage to a fish farm
  • municipal veterinary authority’s or a predator contact person’s statement on animal damage and its cause.

Costs of damage caused directly by the incident are eligible costs. Work costs are not eligible costs. The costs of obtaining a statement are eligible.

The service is free of charge.

Basic information

The service is provided byCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Other responsible organisationsELY Centre for Kainuu, ELY Centre for Central Finland, ELY Centre for Uusimaa, ELY Centre for North Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for South Savo, ELY Centre for Pirkanmaa, ELY Centre for Lapland, ELY Centre for Häme, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for North Karelia, ELY Centre for Southeast Finland, ELY Centre for South Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for North Savo, ELY Centre for Satakunta
Responsible for the serviceCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish, English
Text edited by: ELY Centre
Updated: 2/9/2021