Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Regional State Administrative Agency

Can I start a cemetery?

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

Regional State Administrative Agencies have a range of licensing, enforcement and cadastral responsibilities relating to cemeteries and burials.

We can authorise registered organisations and foundations (such as registered religious communities) to start a cemetery.

Cemeteries and private burial grounds

Can I establish a private burial ground?

We can authorise the establishment of a private burial ground for a specific deceased person in special circumstances.

The location must be suitable for the purpose, and the landowner or tenant must give their consent.

Do cemeteries and private burial grounds appear in the Finnish Land Information System?

Yes. We inform the controller of the Land Information System of the establishment of any new cemeteries or private burial grounds in order to allow for the relevant property records to be updated. The existence of a cemetery or a private burial ground on a property affects its use.

To whom and on what terms

What do I need to get authorisation?

Cemeteries are not permitted to be profit-seeking.

In order to be authorised to start a cemetery, you need to be able to demonstrate that you are capable of taking care of one. This involves, among other things, producing a realistic plan of how your cemetery will be managed in the long term.

The property manager must own the land on which the cemetery is established. If the property manager does not own the land, they must have

• the landowner’s permission to start the cemetery and

• a priority lease or other right to the property.

The lease or other right must be for a fixed term of at least 130 and no more than 200 years. The lease must cover the entire property.

The property must be free of all liens and encumbrances within the meaning of the Funeral Services Act. Any restrictions on the use of the property must be entered into the land register.

A fee is charged for the service.

Basic information

The service is provided byRegional State Administrative Agency
Responsible for the serviceRegional State Administrative Agency
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish, English
Text edited by: Regional State Administrative Agency
Updated: 12/12/2020