Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service ELY Centre

Cable, line and pipe installation permit

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

You will always need the permission of the road maintenance authority to place cables, lines and pipes in a highway traffic area, as well as for maintaining them. Depending on the situation, the required permit is an installation permit or a works permit.

In certain situations, you can submit a notification of the placement of electrical and telecommunications cables and lines instead of an application for an installation permit. The scope of application of the notification procedure is defined in section 42 a of the Highways Act. In uncertain cases, an installation permit application is recommended. A works permit suffices for some works under the notification procedure.

Lupa-apuri (permit assistant) will help you select the correct application type.

Before applying for a permit, you must carry out the necessary preliminary analyses and find out where the existing lines in the road area are from the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom’s Verkkotietopiste (online information centre), network companies, municipalities and national utility location service and, with regard to road maintenance authorities’ utilities, from the regional ELY Centre. Johtotieto Oy can give you information on the Defence Forces’ cables.

Cables installed for road lighting are exceptions. Their installation in a highway traffic area is agreed with the road lighting or electrical works coordinator of the regional ELY Centre.

Do the following

Use the e-service primarily.

Signing into the service requires strong authentication. You will need either a bank ID, a mobile certificate or a certificate card

In the e-service, you can apply for an installation permit for placing electrical and telecommunications cables and overhead lines as well as district heating lines and natural gas pipelines in highway traffic areas and a work permit for working in the traffic area.

If you supplement your application later, email the supplementary information to: Enter the application’s service ID number, file number (PIRELY/xx/20xx) or the name of the permit applicant, the work site’s municipality and road number in the subject field of the email.

If you submit a notification in accordance with the notification procedure, use the intended electronic form (no identification required). Please note that the notification cannot be supplemented afterwards.

If you cannot use the e-service, you can use printable forms. Irrespective of the location, submit the application form to the registry of the Pirkanmaa ELY Centre (P.O. Box 297, 33101 Tampere). 

To whom and on what terms

A fee is charged for the service.

Check the websites of the different licence types for current prices.

The price of the permit or notification is determined by the type of permit, the longitudinal road length of the installation and the number of under and over crossings. Rejected registrations are also subject to a fee.


You must not start work that is subject to a permit before receiving a positive decision. More detailed conditions are specified in the permit decision.

Processing time

Check the average processing time on the ELY Centre website. An incomplete application, missing appendices or preliminary analyses will slow down the processing of the application.

Period of validity

The period of validity of the permit decision is permit-specific and announced in the decision. The notification is valid for one year after it enters into force, that is, the date for starting work that is mentioned in the notification. If the work cannot be completed within one year, you must submit a new notification.

Basic information

The service is provided byCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Other responsible organisationsELY Centre for Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Kainuu, ELY Centre for North Karelia, ELY Centre for North Savo, ELY Centre for Uusimaa, ELY Centre for Lapland, ELY Centre for North Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Satakunta, ELY Centre for South Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for South Savo, ELY Centre for Häme, ELY Centre for Pirkanmaa, ELY Centre for Southeast Finland, ELY Centre for Central Finland
Responsible for the serviceCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: ELY Centre
Updated: 17/1/2022