Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Finnish Food Authority

Business support for rural areas

  • Service
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

Companies located in the countryside can apply for business support for starting up, developing and investing in their operations.

Business support includes:

Establishment aid

You may receive support for the measures contained in the establishment plan, for example:

• Purchasing business coaching advice

• Product development projects

• Production piloting

• Drawing up a marketing plan

• Test marketing

• Internationalisation report.

An active company can also receive start-up aid if it starts to engage in entirely new business activities. Create a business plan – you can apply for start-up support when your business plan is complete. You can use commonly used business plan models, such as the business plan prepared on the service's website. also contains plenty of information on setting up a new company and the measures required for it.

You may receive a start-up grant of EUR 5,000-35,000 and it is paid in two or three instalments. Support for experiment may be granted between EUR 2,000 and 10,000.

Investment aid

Start-ups and expansion companies can receive investment support, including:

• Procurement or construction of production facilities

• Purchase of machinery and other fixed assets

• Intangible investments such as software, patents and manufacturing rights.

Investment must play an essential role in the establishment, growth or development of a company.

Support levels vary by sector and support zone 20–40%

Investment feasibility study

If you are planning to invest, you can receive support in determining the prerequisites and implementation of the investment. Support is intended for the procurement of expert services. The aid granted for the feasibility study does not require the implementation of an investment. The study may conclude that it makes no sense to carry out the investment.

A feasibility study can be used to determine, for example, whether it is more appropriate to acquire a finished production building instead of building a new one and whether it would be more economical to acquire used machinery.

The feasibility study may be supported by 40% of the eligible costs for primary refining businesses. For other companies, the feasibility study can be granted 50% of the approved costs as de minimis aid.

Entrepreneurs can also work together with other entrepreneurs and development organisations to develop the profitability of their sector through a cooperation project.

Do the following

1) Before submitting your application, contact your local ELY Centre or Leader group. The experts of the ELY Centre and the Leader group will advise you on how to submit your application.

2) Check that you have the necessary rights to log in to the Hyrrä service in your company's name or that you have given another person sufficient rights to act in the Hyrrä service in your company's name.

3) Fill in the electronic application and attach the necessary attachments

4) Sign and submit the application for processing.

To whom and on what terms

Those who can apply for support include:

• A natural person aged 18 or over

• Shareholder, general partnership, limited partnership and cooperative

• Small or medium-sized enterprise

• Farm

Conditions applicable to the supported company:

• Your company is located in the countryside

• Your company has the prerequisites for continuous profitable operations

• Employees have sufficient professional skills

The aid must not distort competition. Therefore, no aid is normally granted to a business operating on the local market.

The ELY Centres and the Leader group both have their own selection criteria when selecting projects to be funded. The purpose of the selection criteria is to ensure equal treatment of applicants and the most appropriate use of funds for rural development.

The selection criteria of the Leader groups ensure that the projects are suitable for the local strategy.

The service is free of charge.

Basic information

Other responsible organisationsCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Responsible for the serviceFinnish Food Authority
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: Finnish Food Authority
Updated: 25/11/2021