Applying for a ban or restriction on off-road traffic
- Nationwide except the Åland Islands
- Public service
You can apply for a ban or restriction on the use of motor vehicles in certain land areas or ice-covered water areas.
A ban or restriction may be issued if the use of motor vehicles causes harm on the land area or ice-covered water area. The harm may concern nature or other environment, natural sources of livelihood, public recreational use or other public or private interest.
Apply for the ban ...
Do the following
Apply for a ban or restriction from the ELY Centre of the region where the proposed area is.
The application is free form but must include:
- the name of the sender and contact details necessary to deal with the matter,
- the area for which the ban or restriction is sought, presented on a map of appropriate scale,
- the period of validity of the ban or restriction,
- the grounds for the ban or restriction, and
- other matters necessary for the consideration of the matter.
Send the application preferably electronically as an attachment to the ELY Centre’s general online form. You can also print the application and send it to the ELY Centre registry by post.
To whom and on what terms
The municipality or a member of the municipality concerned, a reindeer herding community or an authority, organisation or landowner concerned can propose the ban or restriction.
Both positive and negative decisions are subject to a fee. The fee is determined in accordance with the government decree on the ELY Centres’, TE Offices’ and the KEHA Centre’s services subject to a fee, which is valid at the time the proposal is initiated.