Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Regional State Administrative Agency

Animal transporter competency certificate

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

You must have an animal transporter competency certificate if you transport animals and the following requirements are met:

  1. Transport is for a commercial purpose*
  2. Journeys are over 65 kilometres
  3. The species to be transported are horses, cattle, sheep, goats, pigs or poultry
  4. You are responsible for the welfare, care, and handling of the animals during transport.

The certificate is pers ...

Do the following

  1. If necessary, find out if the transportation you are carrying out is classified as commercial either from your employer, from Evira's website or from the Regional State Administrative Agency.
  2. Find out where and when animal transport training is organised, and participate in appropriate training.
  3. Find out where and when competency tests are organised and participate in the test that includes the appropriate animal species.
  4. Send the following either by post or by e-mail to the Regional State Administrative Agency that is located in your area of residence:
  • A copy of the training certificate you received from the organiser
  • A copy of the competency test results you received from Evira
  • Completed animal transporter competency certificate application form. Remember to fill in all the entries on the application.

Wait for the Regional State Administrative Agency to issue you with an animal transporter competency certificate. You can then start transporting the animals. NB! If you transport animals as a sole trader or as part of your company operations, you also need an animal transport permit. If the journeys last for more than 8 hours, your vehicle must be approved separately.

To whom and on what terms

You will be issued with a certificate of competence if you have:

  1. Attended the training for animal transport for the above mentioned species, and
  2. Passed a competency test organised by Evira.

In addition, some equine qualifications include both animal transport training and competency testing. If you have a recent basic degree in horse management, or a professional qualification as a horse trainer, or a vocational qualification as a riding instructor, you can apply for a certificate directly.

Training is organised by various colleges, educational institutions, and advisory organisations. For more information on training providers see Evira's website. The training must meet the legal requirements and must include at least the following:

  • Legislation on animal transport
  • Animal physiology, especially hydration and nutritional needs
  • Animal behaviour and the concept of stress
  • Practical aspects of animal handling
  • Effects of transport on the animals’ welfare and meat quality
  • First aid for animals
  • Health and safety of personnel handling animals.


You can start commercially transporting animals only after you have received the animal transporter competency certificate.

Processing time

The certificates are usually granted within two weeks.

Period of validity

A certificate is generally valid until you are 70 years old. After this, the validity is determined at the discretion of the Regional State Administrative Agency.

Background information

The service is provided by

Regional State Administrative Agency

Responsible for the service

Regional State Administrative Agency
Text edited by: Regional State Administrative Agency
Updated: 9/9/2020