Advertising and notices on the roadside
- Permit or other obligation
- Nationwide except the Åland Islands
- Public service
Before placing an advertisement or notice for road users, you must read the regulations on roadside advertising. The placement of an advertisement might require notification and a permitting decision, compliance with Traficom’s regulations on roadside advertising and notices, requesting a statement and/or applying for a permit.
If the roadside advertisement is placed outside the local detailed p ...
Do the following
Use the e-service primarily.
Signing into the service requires strong authentication. You will need either a bank ID, a mobile certificate or a certificate card.
If you cannot use the e-service, you can use printable forms. Irrespective of the location, submit the application form to the registry of the Pirkanmaa ELY Centre (P.O. Box 297, 33101 Tampere).
Each advertisement requires its own notification with the attachments listed below.
- a map that shows the intended location, distance of the advertisement from the highway and its placement and orientation in relation to the highway,
- a picture or description of the characteristics of the advertisement (e.g. material, size, lighting, etc.),
- account of the land owner’s or holder’s permission for placing the advertisement on their land and
- account of the route used for maintenance operations (on trunk roads, main roads and national roads, maintenance operations cannot be performed from the road).
If you want to place an advertisement outside the highway traffic area in a planned area, please request a statement from the Pirkanmaa Ely Centre regardless of the municipality in question. The statement can be requested by the municipality or by the person setting up the advertising device.
Send a free-form statement request with its attachments to kirjaamo.pirkanmaa(at)ely-keskus.fi
Attach the following information on the request for a statement:
- a plan extract,
- a map that shows the intended location of the advertisement and its placement and orientation in relation to the highway and a picture or description of the characteristics of the advertisement (e.g. material, size, lighting, changing interval of advertisements etc.).
Temporary guidance sign G42 requires a site-specific application.
To whom and on what terms
You cannot place a roadside advertisement that is under the notification obligation or a temporary guidance sign 42G before obtaining a permissive decision.
The ELY Centre will give a decision within 30 days of the receipt of the notification. The decision is subject to a fee.
Period of validity
The decision is valid for 10 years.