Acceptance of operation onto the waste management register
- Permit or other obligation
- Nationwide except the Åland Islands
- Public service
If you practise professional waste carrying or waste transport, you must apply for the acceptance of your operation onto the waste management register. The Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY Centre) makes the decision concerning the acceptance based on the application. This procedure ensures that the proposed operation complies with the requirements laid down in the Waste Act. The decision’s orders prevent harm and danger to health and the environment that the operation may cause.
Do the following
File the application to the ELY Centre of the area where most of your operation takes place. The application form has detailed instructions about the information needed for filling the application.
File the application well in advance before commencing the operation. You must also inform the ELY Centre of any essential changes to the operation or if the operation ends.
Attach the application and the required documents to the online form and send them to the ELY Centre registry. You can also print the application and send it to the ELY Centre registry by post.
For further information, contact the ELY Centre.
To whom and on what terms
The operation will be accepted onto the register if:
- the operation is practised professionally and in compliance with the Waste Act and the provisions adopted pursuant to it
- the operation is practised such that it does not cause harm or danger to health or the environment
- the equipment and machinery used for the operation are technically appropriate
- in order to ensure the appropriate waste management of the carried or transported waste, the applicant lodges an adequate guarantee in the favour of the ELY Centre, unless the licensing authority decides that lodging a guarantee is unnecessary considering the nature and extent of the operation.
A fee is charged for the service.
A fee is payable to the state for processing the application. The fee is based on the government decree on the Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment’s services subject to a fee. The amount of the fee is adjusted annually.
The application must be filed before commencing the operation or any essential change to the operation.
The average processing time is approximately 1 month.
Period of validity
The decision is valid until further notice.