Go directly to contents.

Study leave

You are entitled to unpaid study leave if:

  •  your full-time employment has continued for at least one year with the same employer. 
  • you participate in education which is under public surveillance.

You may take up to two years of study leave over a five-year period while remaining in the service of the same employer. Study leave may be taken for a course of education that is subject to public regulatory control. Applications for study leave are submitted to the employer.

No wages are paid for study leave, but you will earn annual holiday for one month of study leave in the leave-earning year if you return to work immediately after the study leave ends. Collective agreements may also include other regulations governing entitlement to annual holiday and other benefits earned over a period of study leave.

    Text edited by: Central Organisation of Finnish Trade Unions – SAK, Confederation of Finnish Industries – EK, Confederation of Unions for Professional and Managerial Staff in Finland – Akava, Finnish Confederation of Salaried Employees – STTK, KT Local Government Employers, Labour Market Organisation of the Church – KiT, Office for the Government as Employer – VTML
    Updated: 12/11/2018