Go directly to contents.

Aids and home renovations for people with disabilities

Assistive devices are available from health centres or by referral from the assistive device units of health care districts. Assistive device services include instruction on use, renewal and maintenance. The services are free of charge.

This means that you do not have to pay anything for the aids and equipment that you need to manage in your daily life. Such free-of-charge aids include, for example, wheelchairs, hearing aids for the hearing impaired and white canes and guide dogs for the visually impaired.

Kela may pay for aids that are required for working and studying. You may be provided with aids if you cannot manage work or studying without certain aids or if work or study without them would be very difficult.

Home renovations

If you need alteration work in your home, or some disability equipment have to be installed there, your municipality of residence may reimburse you for them.

For example, your home can be changed in such a way that it is possible to get about in a wheelchair.

Fixed disability equipment include, for example, various types of hoisting equipment and a fire alarm and doorbell for hearing impaired in which sound is replaced by light. The social worker of your municipality’s Office for Disabled Services will estimate together with you whether your home needs alteration work.

    Text edited by: editorial team
    Updated: 6/14/2021