Go directly to contents.

Personal taxation

If you work in Finland, your employer withholds tax on your earned income in accordance with the percentage of tax on your tax card. The Tax Administration calculates the percentage of tax to be withheld on the basis of your income for the previous year.

You can apply to change the percentage of the tax in the Tax administration's web service MyTax, by telephone or by visiting your local tax office. If you only want to raise the percentage, you can just tell your employer. For that you do not need a new tax card.

Income tax returns

Every year, the Tax Administration sends out a pre-completed tax return form to everyone who is over 16 years of age. You must submit any corrections to be made to the Tax Administration within the stipulated time period.

You may submit the tax return online or by post. Some of the information can be given in advance in MyTax.

Tax deductions

You will be granted tax deductions on the basis of work-related expenses, extra housing required for work purposes, and domestic help or work you have had done in your home. You do not have to enclose receipts to the tax return, but you are obliged to keep all taxation-related receipts for six years from the end of the tax year.

Finnish nationals who are moving abroad should sort out their tax affairs in advance with their local tax office.

    What services can I get?

    See related services and service channels.
    Text edited by: editorial team
    Updated: 1/18/2019