Go directly to contents.

Resolving consumer problems

Consumer protection legislation safeguards consumer rights.

  • If there is a defect in the service or product you have purchased, you should primarily discuss an appropriate way for refunding your purchase with the company that sold you the service or product.
  • If negotiating with the company brings no results, you can receive help from consumer advisory services. The Consumer Ombudsman provides consumers with advice and information about their legal status. If necessary, the Consumer Ombudsman also provides you with assistance and acts as a mediator between you and the company.
  • If the Consumer Advisory Service fail to settle the dispute, you may forward the issue to be solved by the Consumer Disputes Board with a written request stating that you demand refund from the opposing party. The decision by the Board is a recommendation, not an obligation that would bind the other party like a court decision.
  • If the opposing party fails to comply with the recommendation by the Consumer Disputes Board, you may refer the issue to a court of law.

The Consumer Ombudsman monitors compliance with the Consumer Protection Act and the best interest of the consumer. In principle, the Consumer Ombudsman does not process individual disputes which involve a consumer seeking refund for a defective item or service.

Products purchased from other European countries

If you have a problem related to an online shop operating in another EU Member State, Norway, Iceland or Great Britain, please contact the European Consumer Centre’s office in Finland (ECCF). The European Consumer Centre provides advice and aims to find a conciliation solution in disputes concerning cross-border trade. However, the Centre cannot obligate sellers or service providers to pay refunds or compensation in relation to contract violations. 

The ECCF advice you in cross-border consumer issues.

Transactions between private individuals

If you purchased an item from a private individual, the transaction is not covered by the Consumer Protection Act; instead, the Sale of Goods Act applies to it. In this case, you must complain of the defect to the seller. If your complaint leads nowhere, you may refer the case to a district court.

Text edited by: editorial team
Updated: 6/17/2020