Driving licences and permits
You need a driving licence for driving a motor vehicle. Driving licences have been divided into different categories. The category determines what kind of vehicle you are allowed to drive. For example, you cannot drive a lorry if your driving licence is for a passenger car.
Driving licence for a passenger car
To get a driving licence for a passenger car, you have to
- obtain a driving licence permit from one of Ajovarma's offices, through Finnish Transport and Communications Agency's (Traficom) electronic services or from your driving school
- receive a sufficient amount of driving instruction at a driving school or from a teacher who has a permit for driving instruction
- complete the Theory training for candidates for first driving licences (EAS), if you have not already completed it before
- complete the risk training
- pass the driving examination.
When you have passed the driving examination, you will receive a certificate proving this and your driving licence will be posted to you later. Your driving licence is valid usually for fifteen years. After that you will have to renew it.