Go directly to contents.

Permits and notifications for non-EU citizens

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and are moving to Finland to become an entrepreneur, you need a residence permit for an entrepreneur, an employed person, or a start-up entrepreneur. Once you have been granted a residence permit for at least one year,  you must register at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency which will provide you with a municipality of residence and a Finnish personal identity code. 

The actual process of establishing a business is similar as for Finnish citizens. You can also take advantage of the Business start-up wizard. It is an easy-to-use tool which gives you a check-list of matters that are obligatory when you are setting up a business.

Submit your start-up notification of your company electronically in the Finnish Patent and Registration Office's Business Information System (YTJ).

Text edited by: editorial team
Updated: 12/4/2021