Go directly to contents.

When your family member has died abroad

If a Finnish citizen dies abroad, the death is declared by a doctor or the police according to local practices.  The cause of death is investigated and the deceased is handled in a manner compliant with the country's legislation. An authority or the hospital will notify the nearest Finnish embassy or consulate of the death. From there, the information will be sent to the Ministry for Foreign Affairs who will pass on the information to the police department of the deceased person's home town in Finland. The embassy, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs or the police in Finland will notify the next of kin of the death.

 When a person dies abroad, their family will usually take care of their repatriation or burial in the country where they died.

Text edited by: editorial team
Updated: 13/10/2021