Go directly to contents.

Status of the deceased person's next of kin

The surviving spouse and under-aged children can apply for pension or financial assistance after their family member's death. The child's guardian is usually his or her trustee. The guardian is the child's living parent or some other person who has been asked to be the child’s guardian. 

If your spouse from a marriage or registered partnership dies and you become a widow(er), you will maintain control of your residence and furniture.

The Personal Data Act provides protection even for a deceased person's identity. 

See contents related to the topic:

Pensions and benefits for a child who has lost a parent

When a parent dies, their children aged under 18, and under 21 if they are full-time students, may receive family pensions and compensation.

A child's position when a parent dies

A child who has lost a parent needs a trustee. The child’s guardian usually becomes his or her trustee.

Pensions and benefits for widow(er)s

A widow(er) may be entitled to family pensions and compensation after his or her spouse dies.

The rights of the surviving spouse

You as the surviving spouse will maintain control of your residence and furniture. A person who has lost the partner they lived with also has rights.

A cohabiting partner’s rights after their partner dies

The rights and standing of a cohabiting partner who is windowed are weaker than those of a person who was married and then became windowed.

Information concerning the deceased

The deceased person's next of kin will in most cases have the opportunity to receive medical and personal data about the deceased person.