The new will replace three services in summer 2017: the current portal, and Workspace, the web site for services for authorities.Visit the development version of the new
Icons / Utility / Close Created with Sketch.

First page / Services by topic / Migration / Immigration / Working and studying in Finland

Working and studying in Finland

Citizens of the EU, the ETA countries (Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein) and Switzerland can work in Finland without a residence permit for an employed person. To work or study in Finland, a foreigner must have a residence permit which is usually applied for at the Finnish diplomatic representation in the applicant's home country. Residence permits are issued on various grounds.

In most cases people are entitled to benefits under the Finnish social security system immediately when they move to the country, if employment in Finland lasts for at least two years. The duration of employment is checked with reference to the contract or the employer. Under certain circumstances, a person may be covered by the Finnish social security system already if his/her employment in Finland lasts more than 4 months.

Show content: Most viewed first In alphabetical order

Go to the Public Service Info website.
Go to the's Workspace - information and services for authorities.
Go to the Enterprise Finland website.