First page / Services by topic / Migration / Immigration / Residence permits

Residence permits by keyword residence permit

Citizens of Nordic countries or EU or EEA Member States and Switzerland do not require a residence permit in Finland.

There are various types of residence permits. For example, a foreigner who intends to be in paid employment in Finland must have a residence permit for an employed person. A person engaged in independent business or practising a profession must have a residence permit for a self-employed person.

The application for a residence permit is submitted to a Finnish diplomatic representation abroad or to the local police in Finland. Both will provide the necessary documents and further information. Decisions on residence permits are made by the Finnish Immigration Service and, in some cases, the police. The first residence permit is always temporary. Applications for an extended residence permit should be submitted to a police service point in the applicant’s municipality of residence in Finland.

Show content: Most viewed first In alphabetical order

Go to the Public Service Info website.
Go to the's Workspace - information and services for authorities.
Go to the Enterprise Finland website.