The new will replace three services in summer 2017: the current portal, and Workspace, the web site for services for authorities.Visit the development version of the new
Icons / Utility / Close Created with Sketch.

First page / Services by topic / Migration / Immigration / Permits and documents for entering the country

Permits and documents for entering the country

A foreigner entering Finland requires a passport or other travel document approved by Finland. Finland is part of the Schengen area, where no border checks are carried out on people between countries. Nevertheless, people travelling in the area must carry a travel document, i.e. a passport or an official ID card, approved by the Member State in question.

The citizens of certain countries require a visa for Finland. Visas are applied for at a Finnish diplomatic representation or that of another Schengen country in the applicant's home country.

If a non-EU citizen is planning to stay in Finland on a long-term basis, they will need a residence permit. Applications are to be submitted to the Finnish Immigration Service.

Show content: Most viewed first In alphabetical order

Go to the Public Service Info website.
Go to the's Workspace - information and services for authorities.
Go to the Enterprise Finland website.