First page / Services by topic / Family and social services / A death in the family / Death


If a person dies in a hospital or institution, their details are forwarded to the population register and other authorities. A death certificate can also be sent to the near relative if requested. If the death occurs suddenly – for example, at home – the police should be informed. They will determine the cause of death and inform other authorities about the circumstances. Relatives should also inform the bank, post office and insurance companies of the person's death. The contents of the will are made known to those who stand to inherit.

The widow/widower and children of the deceased may be entitled to a survivors’ pension, for example. If a Finnish citizen dies abroad, the Finnish authorities must be notified.

Missing persons can be declared dead through a judicial decision. Relatives are not obliged to seek a declaration, and there is no deadline for making an application.

Show content: Most viewed first In alphabetical order

Go to the Public Service Info website.
Go to the's Workspace - information and services for authorities.
Go to the Enterprise Finland website.